Monday, April 30, 2007

Creating a MySpace account

Well, I've created my account on MySpace. I went through the steps on creating an anonymous account. I decided not to add anyone to "MySpace" until I had more time to explore, but something interesting or at least for me happened. I received an e-mail from a friend, but who could that be when I did not invite anyone yet to "MySpace." I was a bit alarmed at first in receiving an e-mail and a photo from "Tom," but then I decided to be brave and look at his message. Tom was offering to help me with setting up MySpace. I had to laugh at myself because it was probably an e-mail generated by MySpace itself.

My reactions were probably due to the fact that I was thinking as a parent. Now to disconnect from that part of me...in looking at it from a different role, I do believe that this has potential for use in libraries as another means of connecting with patrons.

1 comment:

Amanda Lunn said...

Yes, Tom is everyone's 1st "friend." So, you're right. That is something that is generated by MySpace and harmless.

I know it can be difficult to switch roles and not let bias creep in from your other roles. I think your awareness of it is the key.

Great job!