Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Wikis

I really liked the St. Joseph County Library subject guide pathfinder wiki. I think that this type of application works well and would be very useful to library patrons. I also liked that patrons were allowed to add their comments under the discussion tab and that it appears that librarians were the only ones allowed to edit the pathfinder. Allowing anyone to edit or make changes would require a disclaimer like that on Wikipedia. I think that patrons in general view libraries as a trustworthy, reliable source for their information needs and that could be a problem if anyone were able to add or make changes.

I also liked this library's homepage, which included blog posts and was very clean and easy to view as well as navigate.

Book Lover's Wiki is another good example of how wiki's work well in a library environment. I'm sure a lot of patrons would make use of this if their libraries made it available to them.

1 comment:

Amanda Lunn said...

I like the Subject Pathfinder too, so much so that I started making my own this weekend. I'll share it will everyone soon to see if they want to add to it or not.

Great comments, as always!